Third and Fourth Grades
In Japhet’s Upper Elementary Class, children discover how to own and enjoy the act of learning. Third- and fourth-graders learn the benefits of being organized with serious work periods and opportunities to direct some of their own assignments. This progressive approach includes cooperative learning and interactive whiteboard technology.
- Upper Elementary has fewer than 20 students
- Lessons are taught with an understanding that students have multiple learning styles
- Whole-group, small-group, and individual sessions build confidence, enable focus, and encourage independence
- Students enjoy seven special classes weekly: Spanish, Physical Education, Art, Integrated Technology, Life Skills, Music, and Library
- Units in Math, Science, Social Studies, and Reader’s and Writer’s Workshop meet and exceed the Michigan and national content and learning standards
- Daily homework of reading, math-mastery practice, and other subjects is expected of an Upper Elementary student – 30 to 40 minutes each day
In Upper Elementary, leadership opportunities arise with student partnerships, a special recognition week for each student, increased public speaking, and Japhet School’s Spirit Council.