First and Second Grades
In Japhet’s Lower Elementary class, children learn how to be focused, independent students with activities that engage and excite them. They also discover at an early age why the character qualities of reliability and industry are the keys to success in school.
- Lower Elementary has fewer than 20 students
- Building confident readers is a priority in Lower Elementary, with small-group and individual time with Japhet’s Reading Specialist as needed
- Leadership opportunities arise in class and through Japhet School’s Spirit Council
- Students enjoy seven special classes weekly: Spanish, Physical Education, Art, Integrated Technology, Life Skills, Music, and Library
- Units in Math, Science, Social Studies, Writer’s Workshop and Language Arts meet and exceed the Michigan and national content and learning standards
- Lower Elementary students have daily homework of reading and individualized skill practice
Lower Elementary students are taught to think, understand, and act by building on their individual abilities and cooperating with others. Lower Elementary teachers hold each child to his or her highest potential!